By: Blonde One
The ‘bigger’ than I am referring to here is the number of participants on expedition. I know some DofE managers take huge numbers out on expedition at one time and I am completely bemused at how they do it! For me 30 participants is a BIG group. I have never had that many out before and to say I was slightly nervous is an understatement!
Here’s the list of why it worked out:
- Have at least one competent member of staff for every group
- Have plenty of kit available for the teams to borrow
- Have plenty of staff
- Have a day off timetable before the expedition to prepare
- Have a member of office staff to help with the pre expedition paperwork
- Have a day off timetable after the expedition to clear up
- Organise the trip just before a 4 day weekend so that tents can be dried and sleep can be caught up with
- Have brilliant staff
- Have a vehicle with you to collect ill participants and new kit to replace broken
- Be organised
- Have patient staff
- Be flexible
- And finally … have experienced staff who know DofE, the route, the area and the participants!
I was very lucky to have had all of those things!
Thank you to my superb team for making it (another) fab trip.