By: Blonde Two
The expedition season has already started for Blonde One; but for me and today’s youngsters, this is the first training session for Ten Tors 2016. Which is why I was particularly pleased to see the weather forecast. It has a bit of everything on it (I think only Dartmoor can do that). There are some suns, some rains, some clouds, a bit of wind and, most excitingly, some snowflakes.
In reality of course, this means heavier Blonde packs because we will need to carry:
- More sandwiches to keep ourselves warm.
- More Jelly Babies to keep cold kids happy.
- More gloves because somebody always loses some.
- More trousers because if someone got wet, they would also get frozen.
- More water bottles because platypus tubes can freeze.
- More hot drinks because kids think they don’t need them.
- More hats because someone will forget theirs.
- More compasses because someone wearing gloves will drop one.
- More flapjack because some friends need it to keep perky.
- More smiles because Dartmoor when it is freezing is a beautiful place.
I am really looking forward to getting out there with youngsters again. Ten Tors is a wonderful thing to be involved in and I will be with one of my favourite teams of people. It is a shrinking team, but a strong and caring one. The final training session will come around all too quickly; I intend to make the most of it all while I can!