By: Blonde One
There are a few key ingredients to a good bunkhouse. Here’s what I think and also what I found at the White Horse Inn at Scales in the Lake District.
- A bunkhouse must have easy access to a great pub with friendly staff and a good food menu.
- The accommodation should have a view. In this case to the snow covered mountain tops of the Lake District.
- The kitchen must be well equipped so that you can make your morning coffee and porridge before a day on the hill.
- The rooms must be warm and dry. The bunkhouse here was a converted stable. It was a perfectly sized 4 bed room with the most efficient radiator ever!
- Hot showers are essential for warming up after a very wet, windy and snowy walk up in the mountains.
I would highly recommend the White Horse bunkhouse if you’re spending some time in the Lake District for all of the reasons above!